Many of the documents created since the foundation of the School in 1509
have been preserved in the School’s archives.
The School’s most historic items are the original Royal Charter from
Edward VI and the books contained within the historic Chained Library. Unfortunately, a disastrous fire in the Old
Building in the 1960s destroyed many items of historical interest and what
remains is largely confined to the last century. One of the most informative collections in
the Archive is the copies of the school magazine going back to the nineteenth
century. The Archive also holds records
pertaining to staff and boys throughout the twentieth century, and many visual
records of the School in previous times.
The School Archivist and the team of boys which supports him in his work
regularly deal with enquiries from members of the public keen to find out more
about the history of the School and family members who were students.