Website Menu
Sub Menu
.

Admissions Policy

Download the Admissions Policy

Aims

The Admissions Policy of RGS Guildford in Qatar is modelled on that of the RGS Guildford, whilst taking into account the latest Qatari Ministry of Education guidelines.

This document sets out the policy for admissions for students to the RGS Guildford Qatar in order to ensure that:

• all prospective parents and students are treated fairly, equally and consistently;
  • the policy for admissions is clear, transparent and accessible to all staff and prospective parents;
  • applicants are identified whose academic and other abilities appear to match the ethos and standards of the School, and whose personal qualities suggest they have the potential to contribute sufficiently to the school community and benefit from the many opportunities that are offered at the RGS Guildford in Qatar.

Background

The Royal Grammar School, Guildford in Qatar is an international British School teaching a British curriculum for boys and girls aged from 3 to 18. The language of instruction is English in all classes except language lessons and Islamic Studies. When fully open, we will welcome students into every year, depending on the availability of places and the assessment process.

For September 2017 the following places will be available:

• Early Years Foundation Stage
  • Nursery – 60 places – for students aged 3 on or before 30th September 2017
  • Reception – 60 places - for students aged 4 on or 30th September 2017 Pre-Prep
  • Year 1 – 75 places - for students aged 5 on or before 30th September 2017
  • Year 2 – 75 places - for students aged 6 on or before 31st August 2016 Pre-Prep
  • Year 3 – 75 places - for students aged 7 on or before 31st August 2016
  • Year 4 – 75 places - for students aged 8 on or before 31st August 2016
  • Year 5 – 75 places - for students aged 9 on or before 31st August 2016
  • Year 6 – 75 places - for students aged 10 on or before 31st August 2016

In order to comply with Ministry of Education regulations children will not normally be admitted to a year group that does not correspond to their age. Only in exceptional circumstances will the Principal agree to place a child in a Year Group either above or below their actual age. When such agreement has been reached, parents must undertake to sign an indemnity with the School. Parents seeking a place for a child who has not previously been educated in a British curriculum school should refer to the attached Year Group Equivalency chart, so that they understand which appropriate year group is for their son or daughter.

Policy on equal treatment

As a British School delivering a British curriculum English is the language of communication at the school and in all academic lessons, except during language lessons and Islamic Studies. Consequently, prospective students must demonstrate that they are sufficiently fluent in English (written, comprehension and spoken) to be able to communicate effectively.

The RGS Guildford in Qatar encourages all of its students to respect and serve other people regardless of ethnic origin, culture, gender, linguistic background, special educational need, religion or disability. The school condemns any form of prejudice or denial of equal opportunity in these areas. Those in a position of responsibility will seek to ensure that all students at the RGS Guildford in Qatar benefit equally from its provision. To this end, the school is committed to an admissions policy which makes no discrimination on the grounds of ethnic origin, disability or religion.

The RGS, Guildford in Qatar is committed to:

• the promotion of a culture within the school which actively discourages discrimination on the grounds of ethnic origin, gender, disability or religion;
  • providing a curriculum which emphasises positive aspects of, and contributions to, a healthy and tolerant lifestyle regardless of culture or gender;
  • ensuring that disabled members of the school community are not unreasonably disadvantaged, within the constraints of existing buildings and location.

Admissions process

The aim of the Admissions Policy is to select students who will flourish in the particular academic environment the school provides and take full advantage of the opportunities available. Any parent can apply provided that they agree to take a full and active part in supporting their child’s education at the RGS Guildford in Qatar and that the child is permanently living in Qatar with them.

Applications for all children who are registered will be considered in exactly the same way.

The Admissions Policy is determined by the Principal and administered by the Admissions and Marketing Registrar; the Principal’s decision on admissions matters is final. The School is not obliged to state its reasons for rejection of a candidate. The admissions process is made up of the following stages: application, assessment, acceptance and registration. Please refer to the Admissions Process section of the website.

The following criteria are considered when applications are received:

• academic ability;
  • previous school reports or assessments;
  • gender;
  • the ability to communicate effectively in English.

Assessments

It is our policy to test all children as part of our admissions procedure. Please refer to the Admissions Procedure and Assessment Guide sections of the website for further information.

No entrance assessment may be taken more than once, however, pupils who are not successful in one age category can apply again in future years provided the school has places available.

Candidates who are living overseas at the time of testing may choose to be assessed at their current Nursery or School.  An offer of a place may be made based upon external assessments or reports; however, the RGS Guildford in Qatar may subsequently withdraw this offer or terminate the enrolment contract, if they subsequently discover the reporting to be a misrepresentation of the child’s actual abilities.

A report from the pupil’s current school or nursery will be required and should be submitted as part of the registration process.

The school does not provide examination marks to candidates’ parents as it considers these to be meaningless in isolation, although the Head of Primary School is always happy to discuss a candidate’s performance.

Parental interview

The Principal may request to meet parents following the assessment stage to discuss the assessment and/or the role that parents will be expected to take in supporting their child’s education. At the RGS Guildford in Qatar we expect all of our parents to take an interested and active role in their child’s education.

This is also an opportunity for parents to ask the Principal any questions they may have about the school.

Waiting Lists

Due to the high demand for places at the RGS Guildford in Qatar we expect that we will have to disappoint a number of families whose children do not meet the standards required for entry.

If a child meets the criteria to gain entrance to the School but the relevant year group is full at that time, he or she can be placed on the Waiting List. Places in the School are then granted as they become available, at the discretion of the Principal, based on the above criteria, but not on a first come, first served basis. Whilst we cannot give a guaranteed place to children who have a brother or sister at the School, we will look favourably at all sibling applications that meet the academic and other standards required for entry into the School.

Appeals

Parents can lodge an appeal if they are not satisfied with the decision reached. They should write or email the Principal (principal@rgsgq.com) stating clearly the reasons for their appeal. If parents continue to be dissatisfied, they can write to the Chairman of the Governing Body stating clearly their reasons for appealing.

Transfer Certificate

Pupil’s transferring to the RGS Guildford in Qatar from other schools in Qatar are required to provide a transfer certificate.  This will usually be issued by your current school on the last day of attendance and will confirm dates of attendance and full school years successfully completed.

Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND)

In order to meet the standards expected of BSO (British Schools Overseas) the School has regard for the guidelines as outlined in the revision to the UK SEND Code of Practice 2015, the UK Equality Act 2010 and the UK Childcare Act of 2006.

The RGS Guildford in Qatar adopts an inclusive policy and students with SEND are offered the opportunity to join the School providing they satisfy the School’s selection criteria; and we possess the facilities and expertise to meet their needs. However, due to the limitation of our facilities and our expertise we cannot cater to all needs of a complex nature.

The school expects parents to inform us, prior to the assessments, if their child has any SEND. Please advise us the results of any assessments which may have been carried out in order that appropriate arrangements may be made.

Parents may be asked to contribute to any special resources required in order for their child to successfully access the curriculum. Students with SEND will be expected to fully partake in all aspects of the curriculum and be fully integrated into the school. Exceptional circumstances which may affect such access will be dealt with on an individual basis in consultation with the Principal and relevant staff.

Candidates with disabilities

The School wishes to make itself as accessible as possible to students with disabilities within the constraints of access to buildings, but it is important that the School is advised of the nature of any disability before the child comes to an assessment. On the assessment day, a special examination room can be set up if required.

Dyslexia and other learning difficulties

Parents are asked to send in a copy of the most up to date psychologist’s report before the day of the assessment.

Physical disabilities of a temporary nature

If a candidate has an injury which temporarily prevents him/her from taking part in our assessments (broken arm, etc,), please inform our admissions office as soon as possible so that the assessment can be rearranged.

Partially-sighted candidates

The school can provide large print assessment papers for older pupils who are required to read and write throughout their assessment. Please notify the Admissions Office.

Exclusion

The RGS Guildford in Qatar reserves the right to exclude pupils whose learning requirements we are unable to meet. This may be an existing or newly identified learning need and our right to exclude is regardless of any assessments carried out at the admissions stage. If we are unable to support or meet the needs of your child then it would not be in their interest to remain at the RGS Guildford in Qatar.

Good behavior and discipline are key foundations for good education and at the RGS Guildford in Qatar we follow a strict behavior policy. Without a happy and orderly atmosphere effective teaching cannot take place. Pupils whose behavior is considered unacceptable may also be excluded

Parental interview

This is also an opportunity for parents to ask the Principal any questions they may have about the School.

Leaving the RGS Guildford in Qatar

Parents should inform the RGS Guildford in Qatar in writing of their intention to withdraw a child at least a full term before the leaving date. Failure to do so could result in a penalty of a term’s fees being imposed. You are required to complete a withdrawal form, so that we can make the necessary arrangements and inform the Supreme Education Council in Qatar. Contractual obligations will be overseen by our Finance office. Reports and transfer certificates will not be released until all outstanding fees have been settled.

Accessibility

This policy can be made available in other languages, large print or other accessible format if required.