Leading independent day school for boys aged 11 - 18
Website Menu
Sub Menu
.

Departmental outreach

As well as the Masterclasses, the Primary Schools Project, the Strings Scheme and the Summer School, academic departments take part in a significant number of other outreach programmes which also aim to share the expertise, facilities and resources of the RGS with those in the local community.

Art Department

The Art Department offers free evening life classes which are open to all Sixth Form artists from local schools; all local schools are invited.

Biology Department

The Biology Department gives mock Medical School interviews to pupils from St Peter’s Catholic School, Guildford and Gordon’s School, West End. Scientific teaching advice and equipment has also been lent to The Chandler Junior School, Witley.

Chemistry Department

The Chemistry Department puts on Scientific Society lectures which are open to pupils from other schools and boys can bring in guests; parents have also been invited to lectures. Mock Oxbridge interviews are also given to pupils from other schools on request.

Classics Department

Local schools are invited to attend Senior Classics Society talks. RGS also hosts the Guildford Classical Association talks to which local state schools are invited. The Classics Department organises and supervises the Latin Primary School Project at Boxgrove Primary School.

Economics Department

The Economics Department hosts candidates for Oxbridge preparation interviews from a range of nearby schools. It also organises a number of speakers over the year on a variety of political and economic topics. To these are invited neighbouring schools and parents. Of special note is the annual Speakers' Day when a panel of experts are invited. Staff members from the Economics Department also deliver CPD for new and developing Economics teachers from around the country and revision conferences for A Level students in Manchester, Birmingham, Portsmouth, London and Bristol.

Geography Department

The Geography Department hosts meetings organised by the Guildford branch of the Geographical Association and these meetings are attended by students from surrounding schools. Joint meetings are also held with Guildford Environmental Forum and these meetings are open to the public.

History Department

The History Department has helped to prepare Oxbridge candidate from local schools, including Guildford County School. This preparation has included attendance at after-school seminars to help preparation for the Oxford Aptitude Test and for the interview.

Mathematics Department

The Mathematics Department gives mock Oxbridge Interviews for pupils from local schools. It is also involved in, and has hosted, the Guildford Schools' Maths Competition for state and independent schools in the area. This typically involves twelve pupils from each of 15 to 20 schools in the local area.

Modern Languages Department

The Modern Languages Department teaches at St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Primary School: teaching both Year Four classes French for 30 minutes once a week and supporting Year Three French. A salsa lesson is organised during Languages Week to which pupils from Guildford County School are invited. The Department also invites a large number of schools to the Lower Sixth Modern Languages Conference to provide information and insights into what learning a modern language at university involve.

Music Department

The Music Department runs a strings project at St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Primary School. Sponsorship has been agreed in principal to the tune of £10,000 from a leading distributer to loan high quality instruments, 60 in total, to enable all pupils in Year Four to learn either the violin or the ‘cello. The Department also runs a Gamelan Workshop for three different primary school classes, a total of 60 children, who learn about and play the Gamelan instruments taught by a professional.

Physical Education Department

The Physical Education Department has close links with Broadwater School. The RGS is actively involved in the Guildford District Cross-country events which involve all the state schools in the area. Gap students have been on day-release to Guildford County School. Facilities are provided to local clubs at low cost.

Physics Department

The Physics Department gives external mock Oxbridge interviews to pupils from other schools, which have included students from St Peter’s Catholic School, Lord Wandsworth School and Howard of Effingham School.

Politics Department

The Politics Department helps to interview Philosophy Politics and Economics candidates from St Peter’s Catholic School.

"[Pupils] are consistently polite and courteous"
ISI Report 2014