Leading independent day school for boys aged 11 - 18
Website Menu
Sub Menu
.

Sixth Form

The Sixth Form at the RGS marks a transitional phase between school and university.

The boys have their own purpose-built Sixth Form Centre and with the subject specialism of smaller classes and seminar-style teaching, the School produces independent students who have a love of their chosen disciplines, an enjoyment of academic enquiry and debate, and move on to the most prestigious universities. The Sixth Form lectures, the General Studies programme, the Independent Learning Assignment are just some of the ways the Sixth Form curriculum embraces breadth and diversity. A learning culture is nurtured where boys are critical in their thinking and reflect maturely on their experience so that learning takes place both inside and outside the classroom. The boys are equipped with the skills to allow them to rise to the challenges of life and to make a positive contribution to the wider society.

The Sixth Form has a very distinctive feel to it. Boys wear business suits and enjoy their own Sixth Form Centre which includes Café6, a facility which is open to provide breakfast and snacks at break; a luxurious Common Room complete with leather sofas and daily newspapers; and the legendary summer barbeques in the outside area. Sixth Form students adopt positions of real responsibility and the prefect team takes a leading role in running the School. Boys also take an active role in mentoring younger students both through the Form Prefect and Mentor scheme and also through the Senior Mentoring programme. A number of boys run clubs and societies and also Period 8 activities. In addition, students enhance their personal, intellectual and social development by participating actively in the full range of opportunities offered, many of which involve the girls’ schools. The boys leave the RGS with appropriate self-confidence, self-discipline and a deep sense of personal and social responsibility.

"[The curriculum encourages] intellectual curiosity, creativity and excellent habits of learning"
ISI Report 2014