Leading independent day school for boys aged 11 - 18
Website Menu
Sub Menu
.

Learning support

At the RGS, the aim is to promote the well-being and learning potential of each and every student.

The School acknowledges that all students learn at different rates and have varying needs throughout their education. The aim is to equip the boys with the necessary skills so that they realise their full potential. The Learning Support Department works closely with all teachers to ensure that the specific needs of every student in the School’s care are met.

The Head of Learning Support oversees the assistance provided for boys, which covers areas such as spelling booster classes, handwriting, touch typing, reading for meaning, writing organisation, examination technique and revision strategies, and is supported in this role by members of the English Department who have specific areas of expertise.

Support is provided for students after consultation with parents and members of the teaching and pastoral staff and is undertaken in an unobtrusive but highly effective way so that students are able to address any areas of challenge they face in a structured and encouraging way. Any intervention is regularly monitored to ensure that its level and content continues to allow students to develop their learning. It is managed through either individual or small group sessions, where the focus is on developing confidence and formulating strategies to enable boys to maximise their potential and fully enjoy their learning.

"[Pupils] are consistently polite and courteous"
ISI Report 2014