Leading independent day school for boys aged 11 - 18
Website Menu
Sub Menu
.

Able, gifted and talented

The School recognises that all RGS boys are able, gifted and talented (AGT): for some, this may be across the curriculum; for others, it will be in specific subject areas.

This definition extends to broader school life, from activities which range from sport and outdoor pursuits through music, art and drama to leadership and support or mentoring of others. The opportunity to extend learning, both academic and personal, beyond the boundaries of the curriculum is something which enables boys to stand out in the increasingly competitive market of university application and graduate employment. The School’s aim is to encourage the growth of intellectual curiosity, creativity and passion for learning within a scholarly community.

Central to these aims is the emphasis placed on independent learning. Each boy is nurtured to find his own academic voice and draw out his innate ability in such a way as to engender academic confidence and self-esteem. Boys achieve notable success in a wide range of external competitions: whether it is in university essay competitions, mathematics and science Olympiads, student investor challenges or engineering and design trade fairs, RGS students are regularly amongst the leading entries. Within school, the Independent Learning Assignment, the School’s own bespoke version of the Extended Project Qualification, allows Sixth Form students to develop the types of learning which undergraduate study demands. A Scholars’ group exists to provide additional opportunities for our most able boys but its activities are open to all.

On a wider scale, there is equal emphasis and success in areas that include Associated Board Music Exams, Army Scholarships, Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme, regional, national and international success in a diverse range of sports, Model United Nations and Young Enterprise. Each boy at the RGS will find at least one area of school life in which he will truly excel.

"The school is highly successful in fulfilling its ambitious aim to set the highest possible standards"
ISI Report 2014