Leading independent day school for boys aged 11 - 18
Website Menu
Sub Menu
.

Academic showcase

In seeking to broaden academic horizons beyond the classroom, RGS boys are regularly engaged in a wide variety of additional activities that enable them to develop their own interests and ability to engage productively with valuable independent learning skills.

Each October, members of the Upper Sixth are selected to present their work to the Governors at an Independent Learning Assignment evening. Topics in recent years have included the translation of German sonnets, cryptology in music, a consideration of who benefits more from the ‘Special Relationship' and Alkaline Anion Exchange Membranes in Hydrogen Fuel Cells (a paper which was subsequently presented to The Royal Society of Chemists). RGS Students are also central to the running of academic societies. The Ricardian Society produces an annual Economics Journal which is written, edited and produced entirely by students and which is then available for national circulation. In a similar vein, the History Society produced A Clio Miscellany, a selection of essays on a range of historical issues which was published commercially.

Boys also gain prominent success in national competitions. The School regularly produces multiple gold medallists in Mathematics and Science Olympiads, a significant number of whom go on to reach the final stages of selection for British teams. Last year, six out of the top eight students in the Under 18 category of the online Chemistry Challenge C3L6 came from the RGS. Students are encouraged to enter papers into university essay competitions – recent successes have included the St John's College Ancient History Prize, the Corpus Christi College Philosophy Essay competition and the Royal Economic Society Young Economist Essay competition. At a national level, the most prestigious successes recently have included reaching the national finals of both the European Youth Parliament and Debating Matters competition, and the success of William Pinhey in having his play Is there Wi-fi in Heaven? chosen as the winner of the National Theatre's New Views competition.

ILA essay (St J)

ILA essay (Rilke)

ILA essay (Knowledge)

"Pupils overwhelmingly enjoy being at the school"
ISI Report 2014