Leading independent day school for boys aged 11 - 18
Website Menu
Sub Menu
.

History of the School

Foundation

The School was set up in 1509 after Robert Beckingham, a Freeman of the City of London, left a bequest in his will to establish a free school in Guildford.

In 1512, Beckingham's executors formally conveyed the lands in the bequest to a body of trustees consisting of the Mayor of Guildford and four 'sad and discrete men' who had formerly been mayors. With the rents they were to provide a free grammar school in Guildford with a 'sufficient schoolmaster'. The architectural heart of the School has remained unchanged for nearly five hundred years: an outstanding and unspoilt Tudor school house has stood at the top of the High Street since the time when the Spanish Armada sailed up the Channel.


The Granting of the Charter

The Mayor and Approved Men of Guildford petitioned Edward VI to grant them further endowments for maintenance. In January 1552, Edward VI ordered that there was to be "one Grammar School in Guildford called the Free Grammar School of King Edward VI for the education, institution and instruction of boys and youths in Grammar at all future times forever to endure" and the School acquired the right to style itself Royal Grammar School.

"The school is fulfilling its goal of developing a scholarly community"
ISI Report 2014